Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Study Time

I have three places where I can work best on campus: They are: the lounge, the cafeteria and Starbucks. And in the summer of course, the entire grassy campus becomes a huge study area for me..The reason for all is the same. I prefer silence when I am studying. Sounds odd, doesn't it? But let me explain. While I get easily distracted by sudden noise, like a chair falling, or someone coughing or talking loudly on the phone in a silent area  in these places, the continous noise comes together and becomes this peaceful silence. It is so loud and bustling in these areas, that all these sounds come together and drown out the sudden falling of a glass, a shriek of an excited college student, and the continously chattering bunch of girls.
There is also another reason. I need to see people around me. If people around me seem happy with what they are doing, it makes me feel better, and work better. So the cafeteria/Starbucks become the best options, where people are either stuffing their faces and talking loudly or are busy studying just like me.

As I was thinking of the reason why I find crowds peaceful, I realised that, the reason for this could be the fact that I got most of my undergrad cramming done in a crowded ladies compartment of a Harbour Line local. The chakkas and the fisherwomen are hard to replace, but for now, hyper excited college kids seem to do the job just fine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should study by the Niagara Falls if noise is what you seek...

Patrix said...

You just made it clear why I prefer to study in a coffee shop rather than the library :)But sometimes 'visual distractions' can be a pain.

sqrlnt said...

anon: Himmat hai to apna naam bataa. chumkymonkey kuthli.
check this link out
http://blogita.blogspot.com/2006/07/my-portable-cutie.html


Patrix: It does make sense doesn't it ? and @ 'visual distractions' ...it is said that you should take a visual break from your work every 15 mins and if this 'distraction' is a visual treat.. baat ban jayee ;)

Patrix said...

visual treat and all...If Ash reads this, she'll ban me from going out ever to a coffee shop.

On a related note, some survey said, Texas A&M was placed third on 'hottest chicks on campus'.

Sqrl/TA said...

Patrix, wah wah hot chicks and all ha? Is Ash a tamu chick?

Patrix said...

hehehe...nope. She is a Longhorn. But that doesn't mean she isn't hot.