Saturday, March 31, 2007

Saabudana Khichdi

After almost a month of silence, and letting monkeys take over my blog, I, Sqrl, am back. :)

Well I like to play by the book. Especially when cooking. And there are a few books whose recipes I never ever mess with. One of them is 'Perfect Recipes'. The recipes in this book aren't exactly perfect, but is an encyclopedia for me. It is a book my grandfather gave me when I first came to the US, and I use it almost everyday. More than for new and exotic recipes, I refer to it mainly for the age old tried and tested recipes, just to check if I am missing out any ingredients as I cook.

So today I made sabudanaa khichdi. I used only the ingredients specified, though probably not in the same proportions. ( For me, cooking has never been about proportions, but more about timing and figuring out what to do next based on the smell and appearance of whats cooking)


The recipe called for the following ingredients

Sabudaana 200 gms
Jeera 1 teaspoon
4 hot chillies, chopped finely
1 small potato, finely sliced, such that each slice is almost translucent
1 palm full of peanuts. The original recipe uses ground peanuts, but since my mixer was in the dishwasher, I used peanuts coarsely smashed by my cutting board.
Oil

Things to be done beforehand:

Wash the Sabudaana and leave them aside for 5-6 hours before actually starting to cook.

Once that's done:

Heat 1 capful of oil in a pot
Add the chillies and jeera and keep turning them around in the pot till you can smell the roasted jeera.
Add the potatoes and keep occasionally turning till you can see that the potatoes have softened and become translucent.
Add the peanuts and keep going for a couple of minutes.
Then add the star of the dish, the saabudana.
Turn, turn turn. Occasionally.
If you think it's too dry sprinkle some oil, but no water please!
Add salt and sugar.
Garnish with cilantro.
Serve hot. Eat. Appreciate.

1 comment:

Sujatha said...

We love Sabudana kichdi! It's a favorite weekend food. I don't add potatoes, though, and I love to eat it with buttermilk.