Saturday, October 17, 2009

What next?

After 6 looooong years, I am finally done. Done with being a PhD student. Finally everyone can rest easy. My parents who were seriously worried about my mental health have now let a sigh of relief. Hopefully there wont be anymore crazies anymore.

They were hard. The past 6 years. At least twice everyday for the past 4 years, I felt like giving the whole thing up. And at least twice in the past 4 years I had seriously considered it. Now that its over, all those things seem so tiny. And getting through just seems so worthwhile. As if all that drama would have gone to waste had I given up midway through. At least now I have a degree to show for it. And a few publications.

I still don't know what I am going to do next. Right now, I am in a setting which lets me get an idea of how life would be if I were to join the industry.. but at the same time, some forces are making me consider the idea of teaching. And it isn't seeming so bad. I like to teach, and the people who teach me the teaching course certainly seem really excited about the profession. But would I want to go through the whole 6 years all over again, when I try to get tenure? I don't think so..

I do have a year to figure out what I want to do, and then another year to prepare my CV accordingly..

But as of now, as it is sinking in that I can;t say 'Sqrlnt, PhD student' anymore, i am confused about what my new identity will be. Oh well, at least for the next 4 months or so, it could be 'sqrlnt, mommy to be'. Unfortunately, I almost threw up from an overdose of maternity advice yesterday..so I might just be over that...

No comments: