Sunday, January 23, 2011

Stuff worth hanging on to.

Today is the first time in many many days that I have the opportunity to sit and type out a paragraph or two. In this time, I could be doing many other things that will be more 'productive', such as clear the room, do the laundry or the dishes. etc. Get my home in order. But all that is for later. Now, I type.

They say ( and I agree) that after you have a baby, your life will never ever be the same. But that does not mean letting go of things that were interesting to you before you had the baby, does it? Do you have to be a mother whose only interest in life is fawning over her little one? I mean, how am I to get my kid interested in all kinds of things if all he sees his mom do is laundry and clean and feeding him? (Maybe he should learn those things too, but that's for later)

I have had to completely cut TV out of my life. Completely. In the last one year, I must have watched 5 hours of TV. And one full movie. I have not watched a single movie at home, without being pulled away from it because the little one decided he wants to investigate the cabinets in the kitchen.

But you know what, that's all okay. Because I guess I didn't mind letting those things go. I love TV and movies, but I guess not that much. Thanks to baby, I have had to re-prioritize and the only thing that has stayed constant pre baby and post, is reading. I don't get as many books done as I used to pre-baby ( and well, during the pregnancy I read more books than I had in the two years before that) , but I still do manage to sneak in a book every two weeks. And I am okay with that. The type of books has also changed. From fiction I have now moved to non-fiction and short stories, as those are easier to finish in the short spans of time I have now. I also embraced audiobooks, which give me a chance to catch up on 'reading' in my 30-minute-each-way commute. car. I guess if something matters to you, you find ways around the hectic lifestyle of baby raising. Hopefully as baby grows up, I will be able to go back to longer books, and the more leisurely method of sitting down with a book by the window.

On the subject of books and babies.. mine loves books. But what he loves, is to just keep turning the pages. If I hold a page and try to get him interested on what is on the page, he gets impatient, and turns the book the other way. Crook. But at least the interest is there. Maybe 11 months is too soon to teach a kid to stay on a page. May be a few months down the line..

2 comments:

Patrix said...

You're doing great.

Re: the kid getting interested in stuff. I guess, you've to just keep on exposing him to stuff you think will help him. Even if he seems less interested now, he may just be exploring all the options out there :)

Sqrl/TA said...

Thanks, Patrix. I am getting more 'confident' about this as time goes by, but there are moments..
And yeah the kid is exploring all kinds of options right now..life is such an adventure for him right now.:)